Joint Session followup

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 23 10:43:04 CEST 2024

Hi,

I think we are in the famous “if I had more time this letter would be shorter” Pascal quote situation - it is generally easier to write a DM that focusses on a specific area without trying to find all the commonalities with other data models - I have done it myself with ProposalDM - in the end the only standard model that I felt that I could import was COORDS and I went ahead are defined things like Observatory and TargetSource that do appear in some other IVOA models - however, I would have been much happier if I could have imported smaller standard models for those concepts.

I want to emphasise something that mentioned in my talk on Tuesday that I have created a repository https://github.com/ivoa/DataModelPlayground that is set up with the VO_DML tooling and many of the existing models, in an effort to encourage some consolidation and refactoring experiments amongst the existing models. It is a space where ideas can be tried without being constrained by the existing standards process on the individual models. It should be noted that this includes the registry data models.

Paul.