Lightcurve datamodel?

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Jun 12 09:58:22 CEST 2024

Hi Kelle,

Unfortunately there isn't at the moment such  a recommendation as
"TimeSeries data model".
There have been several attempts along the lines of "Cube data model"
and Mango but none of these two data models  are a recommendation yet.

However there is a note proposing a minimal standardisation for
TimeSeries in VOTable here :

https://www.ivoa.net/documents/Notes/LightCurveTimeSeries/20231122/TimeSeries.pdf

Basically this note explains how to describe the time coordinate system
by using the <TIMESYS> element and how to describe the photometric
system used for magnitudes or fluxes with the PhotCal GROUP.

To implement it you can use the Dachs framework which as far as I know
provides these features.

All the above relates to TimeSeries representation.

Data discovery for TimeSeries is another story.

You can implement ObsTAP (ObsCore) services where dataproduct_type =
'tilmeseries'. You can also have a look to the ObsCore Time extension  :
https://github.com/ivoa-std/ObscoreTimeExtension which is also a "work
in progress".

Various strategies of data discovery for TimeSeries are described in
this document (ivoa note) :

https://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/TimeSeriesDiscoveryAndAccess/index.html

Cheers

François