ObsCore's data_rights and VODataService - broken reference

Dubois-Felsmann, Gregory P. gpdf at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 6 20:36:58 CEST 2023

Hi, Markus,

Thank you for the rapid reply!

Pinning the VODataService version to 1.1 in an erratum sounds reasonable.

Regarding the three-value data model, my mostly Rubin- and IPAC-oriented take on the problem is this:

* The distinction between "public" and "secure" seems quite meaningful, especially since the "must log in just to identify yourself" approach to things is becoming more and more common, even for non-proprietary data.
* However, I have a hard time understanding when it would be of great use *from row to row* in an ObsCore (SIAv2 or ObsTAP) query result.  I suspect that it will be far more common for it to be a service-level choice whether public (non-proprietary) data are available for anonymous access or only to known users.  So, in the absence of the inertia from an existing standard, I'd have assumed that a "must log in to do anything"-vs-"anonymous OK" flag would be part of a service's self-description and its Registry record.
* I do think a simple flag that says "you may or may not be able to access this dataset depending on who you are" is of real use to clients.  There are IRSA examples where the UI colors specific rows in data product tables pink to indicate that identity-based authorizations apply to a dataset.   I'll try to research what attributes IRSA is using to drive this, but it's certainly a real use case.
* I agree with Markus that something in ObsCore that helps answer the question "OK, but what do I do next" would be a useful next step.

* For Rubin in particular, we would likely only ever use "secure" or "proprietary" on our planned ObsCore data products, with "secure" only appearing for data beyond the proprietary period.  I do not view it as urgent for Rubin to get this working soon, though, so I'm open to a serious reconsideration of what a future ObsCore should do about this.

Anastasia and Pat may want to comment on these:

* IRSA's _existing_ SIAv2 service does not return data_rights; it does return obs_release_date.  IRSA is in the process of revisiting its ObsCore modeling and how it is derived from CAOM2, and that was the proximate cause for my looking into the documentation for the data_rights attribute.

* It appears CADC's SIAv2 also only provides obs_release_date and not data_rights.

So, from what I am familiar with it's not clear that a lot of tears would be shed about a change in this area.

Gregory