ObsCore's data_rights and VODataService - broken reference

Dubois-Felsmann, Gregory P. gpdf at ipac.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 6 03:42:57 CEST 2023

Apologies if this has been noted previously, but I just noticed that because ObsCore 1.1's definition of the "data_rights" attribute depends on VODataService, and because the relevant parts of VODataService were removed in the transition from 1.1 to 1.2, the definitions of "public", "secure", and "proprietary" have been effectively orphaned.

Because the actual reference in ObsCore is to a stated "2010" version of VODataService, there is some legalistic cover,  However, that's undermined by the URL in the reference

    https://www.ivoa.net/documents/latest/VODataService/

being broken.  If you remove the trailing "/",

    https://www.ivoa.net/documents/latest/VODataService

does indeed point to VODataService 1.1, but that is itself broken, because the "latest" version of VODataService is clearly 1.2.

What's the right way to fix this in ObsCore?  Pull the definitions into the body of the document?  Can we do this in an erratum?

The definitions from VODataService 1.1 are:

public	unrestricted, public access is allowed without authentication.
secure	authenticated, public access is allowed.
proprietary	only proprietary access is allowed with authentication.

Gregory