ObsCore's data_rights and VODataService - broken reference

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Thu Nov 2 18:51:32 CET 2023

Hi all ,

Thanks Markus for writing this ObsCore erratum 4 about data_rights
defined at the level of a data product.

I think it fixes the issue.

The data rights was thought to be a property of the data set itself, so
I don't see why this should
disappear from the Obscore data model.
It is an optional parameter, but may be used when a data base is
reorganised , in order to distinguish for instance
between a public thumbnail image (or 1D profile) and the private image
(spectrum) data set .
In my mind , this property belongs to the data file, and the ObsTAP
service may or may not use it in the discovery.
However, maintenance and update of a service may use it.

Other data rights in the landscape:

  * /DatasetMetadata WD/ uses RightsType
    PUBLIC public unrestricted, public access is allowed, without
    authentication.
    SECURE secure authenticated, public access is allowed.
    PROPRIETARY proprietary only proprietary access is allowed with
    authentication.values

         for the item Curation.rights :  Curation.rights         0..1
     Level of access granted     meta.code

  * /Spectrum DM 1.2/ has another list of enumerated values for data
    rights  which is :
    /public , proprietary, mixed /as defined in Table 1, p.17 of the
    proposed recommendation
    https://ivoa.net/documents/SpectrumDM/20230907/PR-SpectrumDM-1.2-20230907.pdf

it is worth harmonizing the definitions between these specifications ,
so may be re-use the citation proposed in the Obscore Erratum 4?
https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ObsCore-1_1-Erratum-4

How many SSA services are there currently in the VO using
Curation.Rights='mixed'?

best wishes, Mireille.

Le 10/10/2023 à 19:35, Patrick Dowler a écrit :

> CAOM includes a data release date value that we include in our
> ivoa.ObsCore view; beyond that we
> use GMS group identifiers to indicate who is allowed to access data
> when data release date is not in
> the past (null or future means proprietary, past means "public").
> After many years of dealing with
> proprietary telescope data, none of the simpler seeming middle ground
> is worth the effort so I know
> we won't try to do anything with data_rights.
>
> other related tidbit:
>
> DataLink-1.1 includes 2 optional fields related to telling clients
> about auth requirements; that's driven mainly
> by clients wanting to decide "if I use this link, will it work or will
> I get rejected?". That seems to conceptually
> overlap with data_rights but happens down at the resource (file)
> level... It's often the case that rights differ at
> this level (e.g. public thumbnail or preview but proprietary data) so
> such an indicator at the discovery level
> (ObsCore or CAOM) isn't very useful in practice.
>
> Otherwise: the erratum looks good to fix the reference issue.
> --
> Patrick Dowler
> Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
> Victoria, BC, Canada
>

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 at 08:53, Dubois-Felsmann, Gregory P.
> <gpdf at ipac.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>     For the record, this definitely addresses my original concerns.
>
>     Gregory

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		Images, Laboratoire ICube &
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34