[Even list/ event ] stabilizing the name of a data set containing lists of events

Mathieu Servillat mathieu.servillat at obspm.fr
Tue Jul 25 11:54:34 CEST 2023

Hi all,

 From what Stéphane said, it is again clear that an event is a too large
concept. Al least, we may all be talking about "transient celestial
events" in the VO (as written in
https://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOEvent/), then there are maybe domain
specific events: solar event, impact of a comet on a planet...

This implies that if we define "event-list", then it may not be the
exact same meaning as a "list of events". Also, it seems that an "event"
is not a data product, but there may be data associated to an event
(such as images, spectra... or event-lists!).

For the definition of an event-list data product, it would be fine for
the high-energy domain as it is the name commonly used, but it may need
a clarification:
"A row in an event list is typically characterised by spatial, spectral,
and time information."
--> this suggest that the information could be a range of values, but we
are here talking about one value only.
Maybe replace by:
"... characterised by a spatial position, a time and an energy."

Cheers,
Mathieu

--
Dr. Mathieu Servillat
Laboratoire Univers et Théories, Bât 18, Bur. 222