[Even list/ event ] stabilizing the name of a data set containing lists of events

Stéphane Erard stephane.erard at obspm.fr
Mon Jul 24 17:02:12 CEST 2023

Dear Mireille, all

> Le 22 juil. 2023 à 21:04, Mireille LOUYS <mireille.louys at unistra.fr> a écrit :
>

> Dear all ,
> There are currently differences in the way we consider data products containing lists of events in the VO ecosystem .
> This came up in a discussion started about VO high energy data sets last june.

If I remember correctly, the EPNCore definitions were adapted from VOevents at the time of writing.
A correct way to handle this may be:
- to reserve "event" to an actual physical event
- to refer to observations of an event in a different way: this is essentially an observation, and several ones may be related to the same event, not necessarily at the same time.

Eg: flyby of Steins by the Rosetta spacecraft. Rosetta observations are dated, says 18:20, while ground based ones are dated 18:40. However, they all refer to the closest approach, which is the event.
In the solar system, multi-spacecraft observations of events all suffer from this light-travel time lag (think Shoemaker-Levy 9 impact on Jupiter, seen from several locations).
A similar situation may occur for multi-messenger observations.
And we do have events propagating in the Solar System, reaching various planets after some time. Event = solar event, event_obs = its detection as it arrives at various places.
For completeness: some EPNCore services have dataproduct_type = ev, which stand for event.

- I think event_list is ambiguous —in my opinion, this refers to different connected events. Think succession of Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts on Jupiter, from various fragments of a single cometary nucleus: Event = Shoemaker-Levy 9/ Jupiter impact, event list = series of ~ 20 impacts from fragments of SL9.

=> I would reserve "event" for the actual event, and call observations of this event something like event_observation, with an ID potentially connecting them to the event (which allows finding all identified observations of the event easily).
Therefore, "event" should be reserved to either a prediction, or to the common cause of various event_observations.
Both predictions (meteor showers) or a first event_observation (supernova…) may trigger a VOevent.
You could also imagine services listing events and providing related event_observations, from data analysis.

Best wishes
Stéphane