MIVOT: fully qualified attribute names

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Feb 28 10:48:27 CET 2023

Dear DM,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 07:34:07AM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> No irritating VODML-IDs to invent there….

Ha!  And that's where it is a MIVOT issue after all -- this entire
thread wouldn't have happened if we decided to sunset the VODML-ids
now.  It's still easy at this point, and it'll be nigh impossible
once MIVOT uses them.

As I said, I'll not block anything as long as I'm the only one who's
publicly coming out against VODML-ids -- but I'd very much welcome
ignoring them wherever we use VODML.  They only cause headache (like
here) without doing anything the conventional (class name).(attribute
name) couldn't do.  Really: they are not more than an accident
resulting from the history of VO-DML.  An accident, by the way, that
we can still fix at this exact point before its damage radius
includes anything our users and adopters can see.

        -- Markus