MIVOT: RESOURCE relation to VOTable

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 14 18:45:07 CET 2022

Hi,

Following-up on Markus' mail on RESOURCE location (
http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/dm/2022-December/006292.html).

>From Section 3 of the MIVOT spec:
  It looks like finding the annotation block boils down to:
    - from RESOURCE with type='results'
      - identify the contained child RESOURCE with
          - type='meta'
          - whose first child node is "VODML"

I'm sure this was already discussed and I don't want to open a can of
worms, but..
  o the VOTable spec says that RESOURCEs can be nested into a tree.
  o the type attribute is optional, and the only spec'd value I see is for
type="meta" which means the RESOURCE contains no data.

So, my questions are:
  1. is MIVOT really linking its RESOURCE to a parent RESOURCE with
specified type? or am I misreading the section?.
      o the examples have type='results' on the parent.
      o there were several example files in the workshop which do not have
a type attribute on the RESOURCE. (eg: vizier files, ZTF time series)
  2. has there been any consideration of an example with nested RESOURCEs?
      I'm not sure what that might be, but maybe a "SED" resource, with
sub-resources for each "SPECTRUM"?

Mark