Obscore 1.1 Erratum 3

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Dec 8 13:09:07 CET 2022

Hi,

The rationale for this erratum is to avoid validators to have to scan whole Obscore tables to validate the obs_id!=NULL rule.
This is a good argument now that we have huge Obscore tables.

However, I’m still wondering whether the price for this, exposing Observation dataset that cannot be retrieved otherwise than with their meta-data, is not too high.
The gain of this proposal is clear but I’m not sure the benefit/drawback ratio is positive.
- what client are supposed to do when grouping datasets by obs?
- Should this be specified by the standard?
- what will happen to OBSCORE table joint with some extensions
- what will happen to the legacy clients that assume OB_ID as always being not null?

Laurent