IVOA - Spectrum Data Model change request

Vandana Desai desai at ipac.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 28 01:42:46 CEST 2021

Mark,

Regarding your questions about upper and lower limits, I spoke to some
local folks, including Gregory Dubois-Felsmann and Xiuqin Wu, and we came
to the following consensus:

1) FluxAxis.Value: is this NULL?, 0?, or the determined upper/lower limit?

FluxAxis.Value = NULL if there's no detection

That's the clearest for the user. Also, doing it this way makes it possible
to describe both the detected flux *and* limits. This could facilitate
statistical analyses of barely-detected objects in large spectroscopic
surveys, for instance.

2) FluxAxis.Accuracy.UpperLimit: is this repeating the value? or an
independent value/column?

For the reasons stated above, this should be an independent value/column.

I think we're iterating already on the new elements, so yes, I'm on board
with that.

Yes, we are in a good position to test out any proposed changes, although
we may not be able to do it rapidly, because this would require updates to
the software that is used for several projects with various priorities! But
we would fit it in whenever we can.

Vandana

--
*Dr**. **Vandana* *Desai* | Caltech/IPAC