IVOA - Spectrum Data Model change request

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Fri Oct 15 20:27:47 CEST 2021

Hi Mark, Vandana and all DM group,

I would just like to remember once again (see the
https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaDAL_RunningMeetings/IVOA_DAL_RM11_etherpad.txt
search PS or
https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2021DAL/IVOA_May21_DALDM_etherpad.txt
search  "Petr Skoda:")

that we need add two 'order's (we are talking about echelle spectrograph
as is also shown on Vandana's SPitzer IRS spectra in so called long-high
(LH) Mode see e.g.
https://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/data/SPITZER/docs/irs/irsinstrumenthandbook/IRS_Instrument_Handbook.pdf
page 9  (2.6)

  One is relative - in fact depends how the pipeline on echelle reduction
names the first extracted order - usually 1 an increasing as you go either
towards red or blue ...(depends on orientation of the chip and
cross-disperser .... all combinations are commonly use)

and then the so called absolute order which is defined by construction and
is stable for given instrument.

It is an order (marked m in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazed_grating)
of difraction - given by the number of wavelengths of monochromatic light
where the diffaction occurs in given geometrical (angles of rays
incidence, reflection) and construction (spacing of grating grooves)
conditions.

I would suggest the name "absorder" or "difforder" or something similar in
updated SDM.

This order is used in reduction (can be used for checking the correct
wavelength calibration etc) but usually is not transfered in the final
product.

In fact we still do not have proper standard for expressing echelle
spectra and many final product attempt to merge many orders in one long
spectrum (which is in principal bad idea bringing a LOT of problems) in
order to pretend the echelle spectrum is a simple 1D  vector ....
(e.g. all ESO archives of HARPS, FEROS etc ...)
But as shown on SPITZER and many other properly curated echelle archives,
there is a need for keeping the so called oder-by-order formats of echelle
as well. It is important namely for precise RV of exoplanets ....

So IMHO the Vandana's proposal (introducing order - or precisely 2 order
types) is a hack that would allow at least to properly refer to given part
of spectra (which allows for quick preview of given line profile on
multiple spectra or study the proper data at the edges of the order. As
most orders in properly designed echelle spectrographs overlap, the
merging into one long  1D enforces some ad-hoc hacks like
cutting part of each order and average / median the rest of overlapping
part

etc ...

The question is how to recognize what order in visualizer to use if both
are stated. IMHO the viewer should allow to switch this labeling or at
least
display somewhere that the order 1 is in fact 72 ..
But of course the reference to the given collumn of a flux table will use
relative orders (1 to ....)

> As I understand it, there are 2 main changes:
>  1) add 'order' to the SpectralAxis data content
>      The current model supports a single 1-D spectrum, and has no concept
> of spectral order.
>      So, even if the data were separated into separate Spectrum instances,
> the 'order' information would be lost.
>      This request would add a hook which would allow data containing
> multiple spectral orders to be separated in application.

or aggregated in application to display whole spectral range - if there
are many single order 1D spectra in multiple files..

(this is e.g. case of Be star database BeSS many files represent separate
orders of the same echelle exposure)

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute CAS         Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                             skoda at asu.cas.cz          *