DM Workshop wrap-up

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jul 22 11:06:13 CEST 2021

Tom, Gerard et al.,

TL;DR: scoping rules could be drawn up to accommodate
       one-VODML-element-per-document in most cases,
       without precluding other possibilities

For the common case in which one VODML element applies to a linked
set of tables, yes an expectation of where that VODML should go
makes sense.  I certainly wouldn't want the niche topcat session-save
use case I mentioned to drive the design or disrupt what would
otherwise be the best arrangement for providers and consumers.

But maybe we could have something that serves both purposes by
talking about relative arrangements in a host document.
A couple of possibilities spring to mind.

(1) Require a maximum of one VODML element within a given scope,
where the scope may be (and typically is) the whole VOTable
document, but is permitted to be an ancestor element.

The scope of a VODML element in that case should probably be
the VODML element's parent RESOURCE and that parent's siblings
(as well as all their descendents) which would allow e.g.
a single scope document like:

   VOTABLE
     RESOURCE
       VODML
     RESOURCE
       TABLE
       TABLE

or a potentially multiple-scope document:

   VOTABLE
     RESOURCE
       RESOURCE
         VODML
       TABLE
       TABLE

It would also allow

   VOTABLE
     RESOURCE
       TABLE
       TABLE
       VODML

which could get away with a somewhat simpler scope definition
"the scope of a VODML element is all descendents of its parent resource",
but as noted by Gerard, the existing VOTable schema puts the VODML
after any tables in a resource not before, so that may be no good.
That could be amended (1b) by a minor change to the RESOURCE content
model; since it doesn't bring in any linkage to VODML as such I wouldn't
object to that per se, but I don't know if it's worth the effort.

(2) A more rigid alternative would be to say that the VODML-bearing
RESOURCE applies to its sibling TABLE-bearing resource, allowing
single VODML documents:

   VOTABLE
     RESOURCE
       VODML
     RESOURCE
       TABLE
       TABLE

or potentially multiple-VODML documents:

   VOTABLE
     RESOURCE
       RESOURCE
         VODML
       RESOURCE
         TABLE
         TABLE

Whatever is decided: some example arrangements in the standards text
of where a VODML element goes in the most common case(s) will
go a long way to clarifying how to go about this in practice.

Mark

--
Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/