DM Workshop wrap-up

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Aug 24 15:35:16 CEST 2021

Mark et al.

Le 24/08/2021 à 14:47, Mark Taylor a écrit :
> Laurent,
>
> I agree that it's a good idea to organise things so that for each
> TABLE there is a single VODML element to which it corresponds
> (avoid mappings from multiple models).  The spirit of your proposed
> resource location rules seems to underline that without forbidding
> multiple VODML elements in the same VOTABLE document, which suits me.

OK, can some expert assess the consequence of this approach on the VOTable standard?
- opt #1: Defining specific complexType for the VODML RESOURCE?
    - e.g. <RESOURCE type="mapping">
    - This would allow put any constraint on it without breaking the backward compatibility
    - Can we introduce such a new type ("mapping") for a minor version (extension of the RESOURCE at type enumeration)?

- opt #2: using  <RESOURCE type="meta">
    - no new item in the schema, just a constraint saying that <RESOURCE type="meta"> must be the first child of the upper
RESOURCE. (no idea how to do it with XSD1.0)
    - Does this break the backward compatibility? (I thing so)

> My usage for TOPCAT sessions would therefore be to make sure that
> the scopes of different VODML elements don't overlap (by isolating
> within container RESOURCEs).  I would prefer to avoid merging
> multiple VODML elements into a single one since (a) that requires
> parsing of the VODML, and (b) it may be necessary to disentangle
> them again later, for instance when saving another session later
> with only a few of the same tables.
I understand.
I'm not saying you have to merge VODML blocks, I'm just saying if you need to do it, it should be possible.
If Topcat session items are stored in separate RESOURCES, there is no longer issues, things are well isolated with 0 or one
specific mapping block per RESOURCE

Laurent