MCT - model document delivery.

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 15 18:18:45 CEST 2020

Markus,

I'll respond to a couple points here.. other items will need more
thought/consideration.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 7:33 AM Markus Demleitner <
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
<snip>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 10:54 AM Markus Demleitner <
> > msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> > The difference is basically:
> >   * with just GenericMeasure your data product will only be making the
> > statement
> >       "This TABLE has COLUMNS"
> >   * with the property-based Measures, you are describing Entities
> >       "This Cube has Position, Time, etc...
>
> As you know I'm always trying to limit the number of ways we have in
> the VO to do roughly the same thing, so: How is this different from
> attaching a UCD to the GenericMeasure?

IMO: you are mixing "model" and "serialization" here.
I would rephrase your sentence as:
  "A standard serialization of the Position, Time, etc model objects in
VOTable COULD be to attach an appropriate UCD to the <GROUP> element."
But, that does NOT mean that UCD should be a model element... it is a means
of representing the concept which may work well for VOTables, but not
necessarily for other formats.

> > One of the 'threads' often used in the wish-list for these models is to
> > 'easily identify and plot the positions in a file, with
> > appropriate/normalized Frame specs'.
>
> But shouldn't such applications simply look for Coordinates instances
> rather than going as deep as Measurements?

Coordinates is deeper than Measurements.

Mark