Entangled Models [Was: MCT - model document delivery.]

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Oct 7 00:13:32 CEST 2020

Dear Markus,

Sorry to answer late.

Le 29/09/2020 à 12:53, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Dear François,
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 03:16:34PM +0200, François Bonnarel wrote:
>>> I'd still say the options I showed the other day would let us
>>> disentangle the data models even in this stuation (and we can reflect
>>> that on the model level, too),
>> As far as I understood in your serialization , for a given FIELD the client
>> has to check all the "annotation features" refering to it, which may become
>> complex and does not provide a unified view of the succession  of intervals
>> (exempli gratia)
> If you could make that example a bit more explicit, it would perhaps
> help me understand

My initial example On September the 22nd was a supposed extension of
ObsCore with time and spectral support :

>      But  to go a little further if we want to introduce a time or
> spectral "support" made of a list of intervals beside the
> coarse-grained "bounds" : em_min/em_max, t_min/t_max we will end with
> a lot of spectral coordinates and time slots which only a structured
> datamodel can allow to describe.
Here the modelling view (independant of serialization or format) is
definitely top down. The spectral or time characterization is made of
location, bounds, support. Bounds or support are made of intervals of
... spectral (or time) coordinates.

Each of these high levels view is decomposed in smaller elements ,
references, etc...

I don't think it's possible to make consistent modelization by starting
from a thing at the bottom and adressing various models elements
independantly.

I cannot imagine how we could distingush an interval of coordinates
which is a "bounds" from one which is part of a "support".

>   how we coukd distinguish  your -- and Mark's, in his mail from Sep 22:
>
>> This seems really inefficient to be doing this for every complex object in
>> the serialization.
> -- concerns.
>
> Meanwhile, let me try to explain why I believe you needn't be
> concerned.
>
> You see, what I believe a DM API of a VOTable library would offer is
> essentially two functions:
>
> get_instances(type_name) -- iterating over all instances (i.e.,
>    "templates", if you will) of type_name; this would give you objects
>    representing phot:PhotPoints, or coord:Positions, or
>    meas:Measurements, or whatever, in the VOTable, possibly to be
>    expanded into sequences from table rows, if there are FIELD
>    references in there.
>
> get_annotations(vot_object) -- iterating over all instances that a
>    FIELD, PARAM, or GROUP is part of.  So, if you called
>    get_annotations on your ra column, you might see it is in
>    a coord:Position (as the latitude), in a meas:Measurements (as the
>    expectation in a distribution), and perhaps in a ds:Target (as one
>    of the objects making up the location), and perhaps in a
>    coord2:Position (as, say, the first element of the location vector).

It may work. But if we do so we don't give an accurate definition of
what is a "Target" in astronomy

Does it have to contain a position, does it have to contain a name ? an
object type ?

I'm confident that this could lead rapidly to inconistences.

Really What we want to do with the modelling is providing organized view
on top of our data

Concepts exists and encompass other concepts in a complex relationship.

That's what we want the model to tell us.

Cheers

François