[IVOA /TCG Question] access to VODML documentation of IVOA data models

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Tue Aug 25 19:47:35 CEST 2020

Hi all,

The IVOA DM WG has opted for the representation of IVOA data models in a
templated format designed following the VODML specification.
Currently each RFC wiki page for a recent DM specification inserts in
the page the link to the volute repository to either the xml VODML
description, ( xml file) and/or  to the HTML doc (html file) or the
repository containing both and all the output of the VODML design for
this datamodel.

The specification is available at http://ivoa.net/Documents
The XML files are available at http://ivoa.net/xml in the VODML subtree
but not easy to grasp for the new comer.
And the html documentation and vodml-id definitions defined in it are
generally on a volute repository under the dm branch.
Unfortunately the volute link is not resolved to a readable html document.

How can we stabilise the access to these documentation files for the VO
developers, the VO users, and the community at large ?

Here is an example for the VODML documentation file for the Provenance
DM specification that we are currently proposing for uptake to some
projects.

https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/provenance/ProvDM/vo-dml/Provenance.html

My browsers Safari and Chrome cannot recognise the mime-type properly
and show the plain text instead.

To summarize:
- how can we fix this on volute ?
- how can we define a richer repository where all documents necessary
for a Data model specification can be accessed when the specification is
published and recommended ?

thanks for your help, comments and suggestions .
best wishes , Mireille.

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
CDS				IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34