Point in Coord

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Apr 7 11:42:31 CEST 2020

Dear DM

I'm exercising with Coords with spatial coordinates.

My understanding is as follow:
==============================
Spatial coordinates are represented by Point instances that, skipping
the details, refers to a SpaceSys that refer to a SpaceFrame that refer
to a PhysicalCoordSpace that is either a SphericalCoordSpace or a
CartesianCoordSpace.

Point
   |-> SpaceSys
         |-> SpaceFrame
              |-> PhysicalCoordSpace{Cartesian/SphericalCoordSpace}

So a client that gets a Point instance will have to step down this
cascade and to check the class of the associated PhysicalCoordSpace
instance before to know whether this point is  Cartesian or Spherical.

Question:
========
This is consistent but not very practical. I understand that this model
provides components for host models that will be designed in a way to
avoid clients to do such inferences. This could be the case with the
upgrade of Meas.
However, taking into consideration that spatial coordinates is the most
used thing in Astronomy, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have
one specific class for Cartesian points (refering to
CartesianCoordSpace) and another for Spherical points (refering to
SphericalCoordSpace).

As a side effect this would allow to have one specific spherical
CoordSpace for the celestial sphere (lat ,long, R=1).

Laurent
--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---