Transf WD Where are the axis

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Apr 3 14:14:31 CEST 2020

David,

My feeling is, like Gerad said, that the mappings should be more
explicit in the model. I missed that point on March 10.

Le 02/04/2020 à 16:55, David Berry a écrit :
> I agree maybe we've been a bit too free and easy with the use of the
> word "axis" in the document. I many cases we should probably replace
> "axis" with "mapping input" or "mapping output".

Would be better but likely not enough (IMO).

The definition of
> which physical quantities are associated with each input and output is
> provided by the TransformSet.
Do you mean TCompound?

I'm may be confused with the scope of the model.
In FITS-WCS there is no explicit binding between e.g. image pixels and
WCS keywords.
WCS just says that this image has been generated by applying that
transformation. If the scope of TRANSF is to do the same in VOTables, it
is fine.
 From another hamd, if the ambition of Transf was to be able to model
workflows (sequence of transformations), we would have to be able to say
what kind of input data are expected by a given operation and to which
data are produced. If we assumed that all transformed things are
matrices, just specifying the input/output dimensions could do the job
does it?

Laurent

      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr