IVOA Data Models and Provenance

Gerard Lemson glemson1 at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 25 15:48:04 CEST 2019

Hi Enrique
IVOA data models must be represented as VO-DML/XML files as defined in the VO-DML standard (http://ivoa.net/documents/VODML/index.html).
We have no standard representation as XSD, but the tools (https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/vo-dml/tools) contain a first attempt at generating XSD from the VO-DML. The result of that is *not* a normative representation of the data model in xml schema though. Such a standard serialization has not (yet) been defined.
The recommended way to generate products form the VO-DMl I to use the actual VO-DML/XML file itself. It is much easier to use thatn UML/XMI representations.
Hence our generic workflow is to first generate from UML/XMI to VO-DML, examples of which are the various 'xmi2vo-dml...' XSLT scripts in https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/vo-dml/tools/xslt. All the other generators do then not have to deal with tool specific uml/xmi versions.
I have heard from others running into problems when trying to validate data models using alternative tools.
The 'run_validate_vo-dml' target in https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/vo-dml/tools/build.xml seems to work correctly.
Note that when you have graphviz available on your machine, the vo-dml2html.xsl script can generate documentation with a clickable uml-like diagram.
If you could improve that, that would be nice.
Cheers
Gerard