Prov-WD: ProvTAP vs. Provenance data model review

Ole Streicher ole at aip.de
Wed Jun 19 09:56:36 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I just checked the latest ProvTAP WD (2019-03-22) for conformance with
the ProvenanceDM WD. There is a number of small attribute issues (names,
data types, utypes, optional/required) which probably just needs an
update in ProvTAP after the ProvenanceDM was accepted, so they are not
important at the moment.

Also, there are a few structural differences:

* ProvenanceDM allows an instance of a generic Entity, while ProvTAP
does not,

* ProvTAP uses the utype "voprov:Entity.value", while "Entity" in
ProvenanceDM has no "value" attribute,

* There is no generic EntityDescription table in ProvTAP,

* The hadReference relation of ProvenanceDM is missing in ProvTAP,

* Used has a "role" attribute (and a restriction) in ProvenanceDM, but
are missing in ProvTAP (WasGeneratedBy has a "role" in both),

* The multiplicity of the relation between UsageDescription and
EntityDescription is m:n in ProvenanceDM, but 1:n in ProvTAP. Same for
GenerationDescription-->EntityDescription,

All these cases can (and should) be discussed later when we come to
ProvTAP: however we should make sure that they are really consistent.

Best regards

Ole