Provenance Data Model: The Exec chair perspective

Mark Allen mark.allen at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Jul 18 17:40:40 CEST 2019

Dear authors of the Provenance Data Model,

Thank you all for your efforts on the Provenance Data Model.

From the long experience of being involved in the IVOA process I’d like to point out that absolute full agreement is usually not possible, and the final product is always a kind of compromise. This is necessary in order to really finish things in a reasonable time and to progress to operational implementations and to get the feedback they will generate. The document Editor, and the Working Group chairs have the important responsibility of deciding when a sufficient level of consensus has been achieved.

In this case I’m fully confident that the document Editor and the Data Model Working Group chairs have made good judgements. Furthermore, this process for the Provenance Data Model has had additional input and guidance by the TCG chairs, and I understand that the agreements made in Paris have been followed.

I understand that the major items of contention have been dealt with in the agreements in Paris. I urge the whole group to accept that the enormous amount of resources and effort that has been spent on this, has produced a reasonable compromise, and that we move on as recommended by the DM WG chair.

Mark Allen
(Chair of the IVOA)

Mark G. Allen
Director CDS