Prov-WD: valueType in ValueDescription and ParameterDescription unclear

Ole Streicher ole at aip.de
Tue Jul 16 17:39:35 CEST 2019

Hi Laurent,

Laurent MICHEL <laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr> writes:
>  "VODML value type, see Lemson and Laurino et al. (2016)"
>
> should be replaced with
>
>  "value types of the VODML ivoa base model, see Lemson and Laurino et
> al. (2016)"

This would still not solve the issue, since it allows complex types
(DataType, which are ValueTypes). The example in the VO-DML standard
(pg. 36) is a DataType SkyCoordinate, "defined as a longitude/latitude
pair with a reference to a reference frame that allows the
interpretation of the values of the attributes".

Do we really want to handle this in our ValueEntity? While for the
primitives, the string representation is trivial (although is should be
defined somehow), it is just undefined for such a beast. So, an
interoperable client would have no chance to interpret this. It is also
unclear, *what* is written in that field: The id? "ivoa:string"
resp. "mymodel:SkyCoordinate"?  (... and how is this resolved?) Or just
the name?

IMO this would make the implementation here unnecessarily complex and
removes interoperability, without having a use case here. We can reach
all our goals if we restrict this to the basic types (string, datetime,
integer etc.). If really needed, this can be extended with some care.

Best regards

Ole