Prov-WD: Misleading reproducibility phrasing

Ole Streicher ole at aip.de
Mon Jul 1 13:08:04 CEST 2019

Hi again,

On 1.1 "Goal of the provenance model", pg.8, there is the following
"General Remark":

"In addition to those use cases, if the stored information is
sufficiently fine grained, it is possible to enable the reproducibility
of an activity or sequence of activities, with the exact same
configuration and exact same conditions."

This is IMO misleading, since reproducibility does not only depend on
the availability of (sufficiently fine grained) provenance information.
It is at least also required that the activity itself is reproducible.
This is not the case f.e. for the observation of a transient.

Therefore, I would propose to reformulate this to

"In addition to those use cases, fine grained provenance information is
an important prerequisite for the reproducibility of an activity or a
sequence of activities."

(I would rather like to write "... an important prequisite to reproduce
an activity..."; however reproducibility is boldfaced, and I didn't want
to change that highlight)

Patch is attached.

Best regards

Ole