Coordinates model - Working draft.

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Jan 11 00:19:46 CET 2019

On Thu 2019-01-10T17:52:20-0500 Arnold Rots hath writ:
> Don't allow Z at the end of the ISO 8601 string.
> It implies a time scale that may conflict with the time coordinate frame
> specification.
> It's nonsensical anyway since no one should use time zones.

True, but that still leaves a problem for software and humans.
It means that we have a string that looks like ISO 8601 but cannot be
parsed with out-of-the-box software that handles ISO 8601 because
without the Z that software assumes whatever is the default local time
zone of the process/machine.

That puts a cost and stumbling block on software and a need to state
prominently that as astronomers we cannot be confined within the
limitations of the ISO 8601 standard even though we are using just
something that looks like it.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855