Modeling Velocities

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 23 05:45:52 CET 2018

 Steve Allen Wrote:

*In historical data each catalog is its own reference frame, and the
literature of constructing recent catalogs using the old data shows the
painstaking measures needed to remove the*
* systematic effects present in the original catalogs.*

I will grant you that it is extremely important to get this right for the
positions that were used to derive the PM.
However, the PM itself is a different matter - with some notable
exceptions; Polaris comes to mind.

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA