Modeling Velocities

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 22 19:40:40 CET 2018

   is proper motion ALWAYS in spherical?
Yes

  if so, is it always EQUATORIAL?
Usually, but I don't think it needs to be, necessarily; could be converted
to Galactic, for instance
Caveat: it can be either specified by separate RA and Dec components, or as
total PM and a direction (CCW from North)

  which reference frames apply?
Depends on what the provider of the data used; for modern data one would
hope ICRS, but historical data could be any FK
On the other hand, I suspect that for proper motions with any reasonable
precision this won't make a bit of difference

  and the reference positions?
For Equatorial it should definitely be BARYCENTER

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA