Modeling Velocities

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 21 23:46:05 CET 2018

There are simple Cartesian coordinates, in 1, 2, or 3 dimensions. Don't
dismiss this as unimportant: it's used in all solar system and orbit
ephemerides. In units of length per unit of time.

Then there are proper motions: 2-D in angular units per time unit, in a
spherical coordinate system.

Then there are radial velocities: 1-D unit of length per unit of time along
the line of sight. However, this is rarely used in astronomy  - only really
in models or when ephemerides are transformed to a spherical coordinate
system.

Far more common is a (radial) Doppler velocity. But that is not properly a
velocity in a spatial coordinate system. It is a pseudo velocity along the
redshift coordinate axis, expressed in unit of length per unit of time.
That redshift axis is absolutely crucial. If you set this up as a velocity
in a spatial coordinate system, you are setting yourself up for trouble
later on.

Cheers,

  - Arnold