Small question/suggestion re: ObsCore

Gregory Dubois-Felsmann gpdf at ipac.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:05:53 CET 2018

Hi, Mireille,

Thank you very much for your reply (and Markus and Patrick for theirs).

On Dec 5, 2018, at 8:52 , Mireille LOUYS <mireille.louys at unistra.fr> wrote:
> Hi Gregory , Hi all,
> Sorry for this late reply.
>
> I think we must keep the usage of UCDs to their original goal: classify the kind of metadata we use to describe our datasets .
> they cannot be unique identifiers to designate a piece of metadata.
> Obscore defines column names for this purpose.
>
> meta.main is always context dependent and up to the dataprovider to decide .

I certainly wasn’t imagining using “pos.eq.ra;meta.main” as a unique identifier for the “s_ra” member of the ObsCore data model.

I’ve thought about it a bit more since my original email, taking the feedback into account, and I think I can express it more clearly (and slightly differently) now:

(Preamble:)

* From the perspective of a tool developer (e.g., Firefly, Aladin) I would like to have my tool to have the general ability to receive any tabular data and produce a useful display, based on some heuristics.  Part of that is to recognize that a table contains spatial information, and to use that information to plot the rows of the table as points in a sky image of appropriate scale (e.g., a HiPS image).

* When the table is in VOTable format that is very nice, because we get potentially a lot of metadata to tell us what’s going on.  We won’t always know where the table came from - sometimes it comes from, say, an ObsTAP or SIAv2 query that the tool itself executed, but sometimes it just comes from an upload, or from something saved in the user’s workspace.

* Many tables have multiple sources of spatial information, and in particular, multiple pairs of (ra,dec) or other spherical coordinates.  We need to enable users to choose any of them for the overlay of a catalog table, but we also need to provide a reasonable default that will produce an immediately useful display in the majority of cases.

* “meta.main” is a perfect way for a data publisher to give a client of this kind a reliable “hint” as to which spatial data to prioritize for such a default display.

* As a publisher, when running an ObsTAP or SIAv2 service that (as is permitted) adds additional columns to the basic data model, if one were aware of client tools with this defaulting/prioritization behavior, it would be useful to be able to use “meta.main” to tag the “s_ra” and “s_dec” columns in order to indicate that they are still meant to be the primary spatial coordinates.  Or, perhaps, even to indicate in some circumstance that some other coordinate pair that’s not in the ObsCore model is meant to be primary in that context.

So what matters, I think, is in effect the “permission” to apply “meta.main” to “s_ra” and “s_dec” - and perhaps a recommendation to do so unless a publisher is deliberately trying to achieve a different effect.

In Firefly we have taught the tool to *also* recognize “s_ra” and “s_dec” as part of our heuristic for determining the default behavior for catalog-image overlays, and perhaps that’s inevitable, but it seems that we (IVOA) invented “meta.main” for this and that ObsCore shouldn’t be an obstacle to a data publisher using it to provide appropriate hints.

As Markus and Patrick noted, it may be a bit of a struggle to change/clarify the standard in this regard.  Even if that’s too difficult to tackle in this case, it seems to me to be a useful lesson for the future when we standardize data models and their VOTable representations: understanding whether we still provide flexibility to add certain secondary UCDs to whatever UCDs are prescribed by the standard.

Gregory