VODML schema query

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 09:15:52 CEST 2018

> On 2018-08 -23, at 19:42, Brian Major <major.brian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Yes, we certainly should have named it schemaVersion instead of version.  Not sure if you saw this but Markus ran into this same clash and wrote about it here:
>
>     http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/grid/2018-June/002948.html
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Hi,

I have to admit that had passed me by - I think that we should do something, before the recommended practice propagates too far  - and as Markus says, I don’t think that existing clients will have needed to make too much use of this, and in general it will be for small additional functionality (though UWS might be the exception). It seems that from an XML point of view Markus is also right that it would be better to have the “schema” version attribute in a separate namespace, rather than just making it part of the namespace of the “host” schema (even with a different local name, there is always the possibility of a clash in the same namespace) - perhaps it can be put into the StandardsRegExt schema as a standalone attribute definition, or even just reuse the one from "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema” (which might be nicest as this is then exactly the same attribute in the instance document as the schema itself). The only argument against using the namespace is that it does add perhaps ~40 characters of extra length to the instance document.

As you can probably tell, I am (perhaps briefly) re-engaged in the VO world as I am trying to implement some services, so I don’t mind taking this on

Cheers
	Paul.

Dr. Paul Harrison
JBO, Manchester University