[coords] Question - Time domain coordinates and frames

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 13 23:27:54 CEST 2018

No, No, No!

JD, MJD, and ISO-8601 have no meaning if the time scale is not specified
(nor the reference position, for that matter).

A time stamp, whether it is expressed in JD, MJD or ISOTime, always HAS to
be referenced to a time scale (any time scale) and a reference position.
Like:
JD 1456344.845 (TT; GEOCENTER)
2018-04-13T17:26:37 (UTC; TOPOCENTER)
MJD 56345.345 (TDB; BARYCENTER)

None of these is identified with any specific time scale.
Though, there is a strong warning that JD and MJD (UTC) are dangerous,
especially on days that contain leap seconds.

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA