[coords] Question - Time domain coordinates and frames

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Apr 13 15:04:09 CEST 2018

Hi all,

My understanding of this:

      - If Time representation is JD, MJD or ISO we don't need any
TimeOrigin (the origin is included in the definition)

     - In case of TimeOffset, the TimeOrigin has to be given in some
representation of time, but with the same TimeScale and Refpostion than
the Frame it is included i

     - In STC JD, MJD,  TimeOffset are  subclasses of TimeInstant. They
are not attributes. So I wil slightly rephrase Marku's example this way

       <GROUP utype="stc:

    CatalogEntryLocation">
             <PARAM arraysize="*" datatype="char" name="ReferencePosition"
               utype="stc:AstroCoordSystem.TimeFrame.ReferencePosition"
               value="BARYCENTER"/>
             <PARAM arraysize="*" datatype="char" name="TimeScale"
               utype="stc:AstroCoordSystem.TimeFrame.TimeScale"
    value="TDB"/>
             <PARAM datatype="double precision" name="TimeOrigin"
               utype="stc:AstroCoordSystem.TimeFrame.timeOrigin.JD"
               value="2400000.5"/>
           ---> Obviously the name here was not TimeOffset but
    TimeOrigin. TimeOrigin is containing a TimeStamp, here it is in JD.
             <FIELDref ref="COL" utype="stc:AstroCoords.Time.TimeOffset"/>
    ---> TimeInstant (or TimeStamp) will be a of "TimeOffset" Type of
    repressentation in the corresponding column
             [...]
           </GROUP>

       <FIELD id="COL" name="dateObs" datatype="double precision" unit="d"/>
        --->Replacing column by FIELD

Cheers
François