New ProvenanceDM working draft released, part I

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Tue Oct 17 22:57:48 CEST 2017

Hi Markus, DM,

so in summary: you argue that all output entities are derived from all
input entities, and it doesn't matter if they are just log files, config
files, whatever.

Well, I imagined the use case that I have an image and just would like
to get all the progenitor images without any other
logs/configs/auxiliary files. Because I just want to reprocess the image
from a certain step onwards, regardless of the previously used parameters.

But yes, even for this case it wouldn't hurt to get the additional
auxiliary files etc. as well. So maybe you're right and wasDerivedFrom
is not needed for this.

You argue from the provenance discovery point, which becomes more
difficult if there are multiple ways to get something.
Especially concerning the "short-cut" relationship "wasInformedBy"
(between activities), I usually considered it from the provenance
recording point of view.
WasInformedBy was introduced to facilitate creating provenance metadata.
If it doesn't take too much effort, then people are more willing to
actually to it.

I can hear you already arguing that it's easier for everyone if there is
just one well-defined way to write provenance. ;-)
And I guess even if this looks then more complicated than necessary
(with empty activities/entities here and there), a provenance recording
tool may help to hide this from the user.

So in that sense a pipeline author who wants to record steps of a
pipeline but does not want or need to record any intermediate entities,
could write a function "wasInformedBy" for optimization. And this
function then in fact transforms the wasInformedBy relationship into a
used-relation, dummy entity and a wasGeneratedBy relation.
I'm not sure if I really want to have such dummy entities and activities
(for which we even need to come up with unique identifiers) creeping in
everywhere (in codes, serializations and even in TAP responses.)

Maybe we should ask some more people writing pipelines how they'd
imagine to record provenance. In fact, I also do not need wasDerivedFrom
or wasInformedBy in my use case, but I'd like to have the opinion of
some more people before we really decide to drop them.

Cheers,
Kristin

Dr. Kristin Riebe
Press and Public Outreach

Email: kriebe at aip.de, webmaster at aip.de
Phone: +49 331 7499-377
Room:  Bib/3
Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026