New ProvenanceDM working draft released

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Oct 13 07:46:20 CEST 2017

Hi Omar, all

Le 12/10/2017 à 23:34, Laurino, Omar a écrit :
> Francois,
>

>         Sect. 4.3, PROV-VOTable -- I'm *really* unhappy that a
>         VO-DML-defined
>         data model defines a "custom" serialisation while the authors
>         of the
>         "mapping" standard (that's supposed to define how such DMs are
>         to be
>         represented in VOTable in general) work on something that
>         looks entirely
>         different.  Everyone will eventually regret that.  So, please,
>         *please*
>         don't have sect. 4.3; instead, help out the VO-DML mapping
>         folks and
>         perhaps fill in any parameters left open in there in a version
>         1.1 of
>         ProvDM.
>
>     PROV-VOTable is nothing else than the transcription in VOTable of
>     the tables and relationships of the ProvTAP schema.
>
>     [...]
>
>     PROV-VOTable format can allow input/output operations of a whole
>     project provenance metadata in a database system.
>

> By definition, at least from what I saw in the Provenance WD, this is
> what the Mapping standard is supposed to cover. One difference with
> what you wrote is that you don't need to define ProvTAP first, which
> is rather another mapping target.
That's the point. We had the impression that VO-DML mapping into VOTable
will not help us to define a TAP schema for Provenance. The version
annouced recently by Laurent is not, as far as I understand, seems to
confirm that.

> If ProvenanceDM has a valid VODML representation, VOTable
> representation of its instances will be defined by the standard
> mapping mechanism, without requiring an ad-hoc serialization definition.
If we could find a standard way to go from "vo-dml xml" represntation of
any IVOA data model to TAP schema that would be better than ad hoc
serialisation.

> To have two different potential serializations doesn't seem
> appropriate. So my +1 goes to Markus' suggestion. I had an iteration
> with Kristin as I hoped I could find some time to come up with
> standard VOTable serializations according to the Mapping WD for
> Provenance instances, but I've been working a lot on the STC and
> TimeSeries/Cube models and serializations, and couldn't get to
> Provenance just yet.

We would be interested to see that. Seems to be a bit of hard work however.

>     As   far as I understand this is not what is performed by the
>     current effort on "VO-DML mapping into VOTable" which is more
>     oriented on a (very complex) mapping of the model structure on a
>     single table (or an unknown structure of tables ?)
>

> I would argue that "very complex" in this context really means
> "standardized", but I don't think a conversation on the subjective
> perception of complexity is useful, my main point just being that the
> Mapping document does (almost) exactly what you described above, i.e.:

Again "as far as I understand it", VO-DML mapping into VOTABLE provides
a set of TAGS in an xml schema extension of VOTABLE defined to describe
instances of a model. At some point it integrates references to elements
of a classical VOTable where the actual data/metadata values are stored.
I said "complex" because by looking at the examples it took me a while
to understand what the structure is really doing and I was reluctant to
strat writing such a structure for Provenance.
Moreover, this doesn't help me to build this classical VOTable itself. I
don't think the object/relational mapping of a data model is currently
done in the proposed spec. This is a real missing point.

On another side the response to a query  of a TAP service is a single
table joigning columns from various tables as described in the schema.
ProvTAP response will be no exception.

possible involved columns is very large. So the model VO-DML mapping to
the VOTable response must be done dynamically, which  probably forbids
easy usage of public libraries.  While in our approach the "TAP schema"
representation of the model contents everything to describe the model
and identify it in the response as long as we consider it is a valid
relational transcription of the vo-dml xml representation of the model.
Can we standardize that ?

Cheers
François