STC2 Docs available but do you plan to provide xml schema ?

Gerard Lemson gerard.lemson at gmail.com
Fri May 26 13:52:49 CEST 2017

HI Baptiste

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 3:50 AM, Baptiste Cecconi <baptiste.cecconi at obspm.fr
> wrote:

> Dear Gerard,
>
> thank you for your answer.
> It is a bit unfortunate that there is no XSD instance of STC2 available.
>
> We would like to check the new model version by trying out simple XML
> instantiation for our VOEvent project and compare with the previous STC
> model version.

I'm afraid we won't have the time to do through XSLT set up and debugging
> any time soon in our project (nor Pierre nor other persons) and I don't
> have the skills to do so.
>
> The "entry fee" seems to be quite high just to test if the new version of
> the model solve the problems we have in the previous one.
>
> Might be very useful for the STC modeling effort as well as for a possible
XSD mapping if you could give an indication what those problems were.

> I hope that we can get a working solution soon!

That will depend on DM chairs and especially availability of people to do
the work.

I am interested to have a look at XML schema generation, but my priorities
are elsewhere so I won't have much time either.
And whatever the XSLT would be to generate XSD from VO-DML, for sure the
resulting schema would be very different from the previous one. (No
susbsitutionGroup-s! No element-refs!)

A custom XSD for STC could be created no doubt.
Seems to me that VOEvent does have its own STC-like definitions already
though. Are there plans for incorporating STC in VOEvent? Is what VOEvent
offers not sufficient?

It might be interesting to see if the VOEvent schema could somehow be
annotated with VO-DML elements similar to the VOTable mapping spec. To
indicate that some of its types have representations in STC/VO-DML. A
generic-XSD->VO-DML mapping (as opposed to VO-DML->XSD mapping) is a much
bigger topic, but could use that as an example.

Cheers

Gerard