Time Series Cube DM - IVOA Note

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Wed Mar 22 22:02:58 CET 2017

Just after re-reading I have to make a little explanation of context I did
not mention explicitly :

> If we admit  the work of IVOA so far was not based of clear design concept

this is reference to recent mails which give to me feeling that now it
comes the right time to redevelop everything again using VO-DML and
models boxing ....
sorry if I understand this not correctly ... as said its my feeling

and the criticism about VOTABLE in SCS ...

My objection was different :

citing from SCS example

http://mycone.org/cgi-bin/search?RA=180.567&DEC=-30.45&SR=0.0125

and SSAP example

http://www.myvo.org/ssa?VERSION=1.0&REQUEST=queryData&POS=22.438,-17.2&SIZE=0.02

- it gives the impression (it is about protocol not DM, sure)

that the IVOA have designed different semantic description for the same
physical entity (circle on sphere) - not only that radius is SR vs. SIZE
but the coordinates is ones POS as a tupple and once two entities (in fact
the SCS is more semantic rich - every astronomer will understand what is
RA and DEC and the SCS seams to be more convenient for them. The POS is
strange - and requires explanation still leaving ambiguity - e.g. which
coordsys is used ...

IMHO the SIAP2 is completely obscured to non-IVOA dedicated people.

The DMs should describe by definition the natural structure of entities
and so should generate the same semantic description used in protocols as
well as DB schemas, serializations etc.  - right ?

So it may look from outside that the IVOA has just now realized this and
will finally define "proper" way of new standards.

Some critics to the statement about "what is the proper spectrum instance"

-----
I am thinking to present a critical review how the spectroscopy in VO
stands namely using input from community behind stellar spectra libraries
(recent conference in Brazil ).

In fact the real spectral experts need completely different spectrum model
than what is currently in IVOA standards.

E.g. the binary table is nonsense - as it does not describe the proper
wavelength dependence - the WCS description in FITS standard Paper III
should be followed as it allows to compute clearly wavelenght on subpixel
level.

another issue - in standard is given vacuum wavelength but most services
ignore this and do not clearly state what is the wavelenght
as the simple transition is impossible, both should be allowed...
depends on instrumental parameters, environment etc ...)

More - the wavelength is not correct to work with - the radial velocity is
crucial so the log lambda should be rebinned and WCS used to compute
partial pixel values..

another - VO does not provide correct solution for echelle spectra, nor
spectra data cubes !!!!

-----------

When I use my stellar spectropist hat I must say the IVOA have not
consider most of such cases and so it prevents proper science.

Under hat of VO data provider I am glad that I can at least partially
publish the data and analyse them in a rough way.... - Say for massive
visualisation ....

This tiny shift from "almost, roughly" to "precise proper science
analysis" is crucial for success of VO in scientific communities.

> The discussion here has shown the  way how to design future VO standards, but
> it is terribly complicated in sense of previous way of thinking.

By this previous way of thinking I mean to include all model in
implementation - which fails even for the SSAP as shown above ...

Best regards,

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute CAS         Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                             skoda at asu.cas.cz          *