Time Series Cube DM - IVOA Note

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 22 15:34:02 CET 2017

Thanks Mark... that is just the kind of input I was hoping for (even though
you agree with Markus on most points)

>From the application point of view, you draw from how you use VOTable in
applications..
Which is to look for the parts you want and ignore the rest.. don't
necessarily care if it validates.
No problem there..

However, one is still able validate a VOTable instance.  It may not be
compete, but
it is possible, and if one wants to make 'valid' VOTable instances, (like
the example
serializations I'm making for Cube.. I want to make sure the VOTable
structure is correct )
they can do so to a reasonable level.

My view is basically this same approach.  The modeling approach we have now
allows
one to validate the instance (SparseCube) if one so desires.  If you don't
care if it is valid,
you can annotate the instance any way you want.  If Cube is defined to use
model A-v1 and
you annotate to A-v2, and that works for you, all is well.  It just would
not validate.

The one distinction I see in what Markus is suggesting (please correct me
if I misrepresent)
is this co-reference idea.  Cube uses model A-v1 for element X.
  + At element X in the annotation, setup a reference to the annotation for
that element
  + have *multiple* targets for that reference
      1 = annotation according to A-v1
      2 = annotation according to A-v2  (or B-v1 that contains an alternate
modeling )

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning
  + I like the flexibility of re-using a lot of annotation, if Cube-v1 and
Cube-v2 differ only in
     the use of Model A-v1 vs v2, then this allows the annotation to easily
comply to both.
  + But this is *purely an annotation issue*.

Mark