VO-DML uri element

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 13 09:59:00 CEST 2017

Hi,

I notice that a recent change to the VO-DML schema introduces a <uri> element which is supposed to define a URI at which the data model can be found - in my opinion this is not a good idea. I understand the desire to have a standard place to look data models up, but this is better defined outside the data model file itself. There is a certain tautology in the fact that if you have possession of the data model instance file then you have obtained it from a URI somewhere, so you already know that URI - conversely if you do not have the data model file then you do not know where to look it up without external rules if that URI is allowed to be arbitrary.

Each data model already has a “namespace” which is the <name> element and just having a rule such as the models being available at

http://www.ivoa.net/dm/name

would suffice for all “standard” models - though there could be a more arbitrary mapping mechanism set up between namespace and model URL such as is done with XML.

Regards,
	Paul.