ivoa: DM type system

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 14 16:31:05 CEST 2017

Gerard,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Gerard Lemson <gerard.lemson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI Omar
> Agree with most of what you write, but would like to focus on this
> proposal:
>
>> Only
>> To recap:
>>   1. my personal Yay! to removing the ivoa model from the current VODML
>> PR.
>>

> I tried arguing that we need a base model with primitive types to be able
> to create models.
> (Unless of course every model would define all their own basic primitive
> types, something I truly hope no one wants).

I'm sure we agree that a base model for primitives is needed.

> So if we only have a language but no basic types we have a problem.
> Now IF you're proposing to still have ivoa model and vo-dml spec go
> through the process in synch there should be no problem, but if now ivoa
> model would be delayed, I'd much rather keep it inside the spec.

I think they could go in sync.  The argument for separating is more that
the content may evolve and change (in the short term.. presumably would
settle quickly to a static state since it will be so broadly used), without
the need to modify the vo-dml standard.

For example..
   With the recent Coords re-work for the Cube/TimeSeries thread, in order
to satisfy the user-end requirements, we need
   a 'anyType' parent to the primitives in the ivoa model.  Perhaps you
could consider this my formal request to add that
   since this seems like a much more user-friendly modeling  (the
annotations are easier to work with from an application
   point of view).   Whether this is in V1.0, or V1.1, I'm not particularly
concerned, but it would need to go forward with the
   cube/coords work.

Mark