New release for Obscore 1.1

Mireille Louys mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Tue Sep 13 18:00:58 CEST 2016

Hi Mark, hi all,

Thanks for the comment .

We had a recent discussion here Strasbourg , and noticed that
the proposition I wrote in
http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/dm/2016-September/005420.html, was
actually an ID for a table and not for the model itself.

As I mentionned in the referenced mail above, a dedicated TAP service
may serve extra tables together with the ObsTAP ivoa.ObsCore table.
I feel uneasy to define the scope for an ObsTAP service and I guess we
will have to discuss between several options among which:
a- an ObsTAP service follows the TAP specification and contains at least
the ivoa.Obscore table and possibly more tables defined in the TAP_SCHEMA .
it has no version by itself , as all tables used have their own version
specified in their identifier.
in this way , ObsTAP is seen as a container with  a referenced model and
additionnal tables, not necessarily standardized.
b- an ObsTAP service contains only the ivoa.ObsCore table and its
version is the one of the ObsCore DM.

I guess it is interesting to open the possibility for data providers to
offer ObsCore++ services , and so warrant a core level of
interoperability for the ObsCore metadata.
However the consistency between the added tables and Obscore might be
"swept under the carpet". ( not made explicit)

  * in case a) the TAPregext should have at least one declaration
    specifying the table reference like the one proposed last june :

/<dataModel
ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore/v1.0">ObsCore-1.0</dataModel> for
Obscore 1.0
or /
/<dataModel
ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#core-1.1">ObsCore-1.1</dataModel> for
Obscore 1.1
/

  * in case b) we might have several datamodel references for the same
    TAP service

for instance for version 1.1 if we want to add a Provenance table to the
ObsCore core table, we would have:
/<dataModel
ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#core-1.1">ObsCore-1.1</dataModel>
and <dataModel ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/Prov#core-1.0
<ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#core-1.1>">Prov-1.0</dataModel>

or for a spectrum combined with annotated emission lines
/
/<dataModel
ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#core-1.1">ObsCore-1.1</dataModel>/
/<dataModel ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/SSLDM#1.0
<ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#core-1.1>">ObsCore-1.1</dataModel>/
Behind this I guess there is such a question :
At which granularity level does the interoperability take place ?
at the level of a model ? or at the level of a table definition ?

Your comments welcome.
Cheers, Mireille.