RFC period started for Obscore 1.1 [id, new: widths]

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jun 27 15:12:23 CEST 2016

Markus

Le 22/06/2016 21:35, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:54:00AM -0700, Patrick Dowler wrote:
>> I might call that thing #core-1.1 so that if we defined more tables
>> they could have their own #symbol.
>>
>> eg the ObsFile and ObsPart stuff I showed in Sesto,  or
>>
>> eg possibly dataproduct_type-specific tables that could be joined to
>> ObsCore, eg ObsCube (#cube-1.2) or ObsTimeSeries (#time-1.3) since
>> those were alternative solutions we discussed in the context of
>> extending ObsCore for the cube use cases.
>>
>> Not saying we would do those, but #core-1.1 seems appropriately specific.
>
> +1 from me on core.

The LSST camera has 3Gpixels, which requires a long int, thus it looks wise to me to encode *_xel on 64 bits.

Now, the question to know whether database types must be specified within a DM is quite interesting but it shouldn't be quickly
anwsered just at the end of the Obscore RFC period.
The consequences of a loose database typing in models must be investigated carefully.
For instance, having different types from an implemenation to another could break the interoperability. That could lead to see a
query failing on one service and working on another one.

	SELECT * FROM ivoa.obscore WHERE s_xel1 > 3000000000 e.g.

Cheers
LM

--
jesuischarlie/Tunis/Paris/Bruxelles