RFC period started for Obscore 1.1

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 14 10:38:34 CEST 2016

Dear DM,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 09:04:57AM +0200, Laurent Michel wrote:
> >>The RFC period for Obscore 1.1 is started. It will cover a 6 weeks period from
> >>now until May 15th.

Ahem.  Sorry that Registry hasn't put in their opinion yet.  I
promise it's not going to take much longer.  However, there is one
point I'd like to make here with my Registry chair hat on to see if
fixing this would cause problems for anyone, and that's the standard
identifier (sect. 5).

The current standard says:

  The standard identifier for the ObsCore model described here is
  ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore/v1.1.

This is somewhat suboptimal, as it implies that for every ObsCore
version there's going to be a separate StandardsRegExt record --
remember, an ivoid is supposed to resolve in the Registry, and we in
the Registry WG intend to be a bit stricter in this in the future.

It is for this reason that Identifiers 2.0 recommends to have
standard identifiers of the form

where <something> is a particular aspect of the standard; that's a
good idea because many standards at some point needed several
different concepts versioned.  For Obscore, this would mean we'd like
the standard id to be

  ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#table-1.1

Sure, this will look a bit odd because we cannot fix the standard id
for version 1.0, and so, further down on p. 27, it will have to say:

  Since ObsCore-1.1 is a superset of 1.0, TAP services that support
  ObsCore-1.1 also support ObsCore-1.0 and should include both
  'dataModel' elements, e.g.:

  <dataModel ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore/v1.0">ObsCore-1.0</dataModel>
  <dataModel ivo-id="ivo://ivoa.net/std/ObsCore#table-1.1">ObsCore-1.1</dataModel>

  This will allow clients looking for ObsCore-1.0 to find and use...

Not particularly pretty, but I think it's still better keeping
churning out one registry record per version.

So -- does anyone object to fixing this this late in the process?

Cheers,

           Markus