[ObsCore 1.1] requirements for a new dataproduct_type value for source list / catalog

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:47:01 CEST 2016

The usage that we (CADC) have in mind is that there is a catalogue
data product (a file) that users can find and download. I would like
to assign it metadata like calib_level = ?* and dataproduct_type =
catalog (eg). I don't think this overlaps with Source DM because this
is just describing the whole catalogue while Souce DM describes the
content of the catalogue.

>From the various terms that have been discussed, I still don't see any
as better than "catalog" (yeah, American spelling). "catalog" just
says that you will get back a list or table of something but not what
the items/rows are. I think that is the correct level of detail for
dataproduct_type. This seems consistent with the level of detail
expressed by "cube" or "timeseries" (time-dependent measurements of
something)

Additional detail about what the items are could go into subtype or as
more specific child terms if we go in the vocabulary direction. I
guess one could also feasibly use o_ucd to specify what the observable
(items) are...

* side issue: I always considered the fact that calib_level was an
integer (vs vocab) to imply that values larger than 3 were allowed but
the meaning is not specified other than it meant "more processing
applied". I think ObsCore-1.1 may need to be more explicit that this
is allowed but that future versions may define what 4, 5, etc mean...
I could conceive of more calib_levels that were really calibration and
after that analysis can't really be ranked so maybe at some point we
would define a single value to be "analysis result" (calib_level =
10?). Thoughts?

Pat

--
Patrick Dowler