[vodml] EnumLiterals and vodml-id

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 15 02:09:58 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:51 PM, CresitelloDittmar, Mark <
mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> > Since the value is directly tied to the definition of the
> EnumerationLiteral, these
>
>> > are the values which data providers MUST give when representing these
>> literals.
>> >
>> No, this is absolutely not true.
>> Data providers SHOULD annotate the enumerated values that appear in their
>> own data sets with vodml-refs identifying the VO-DML EnumLiteral in some
>> model that (best) represents their value. That's it.
>> There is nowhere in our proposal a statement that VO-DML models MUST be
>> implemented 1-1. In fact the whole effort started from the desire to have
>> an annotation mechanism based on formal data models that can also annotate
>> existing/legacy data sets.
>>

> sure.. this is the goal, but there is some time between now and the day
> when data providers can annotate their products according to the
> not-yet-complete serialization spec, and vodml aware software can pick up
> those elements to map the provider's value to the desired literal.  At this
> point, it wouldn't matter what the data provider's string was.. the
> declaration of it as the vo-dml EnumLiteral would make it irrelevant.  A
> validator might have a problem if the string value did not match the
> literal name though, since typically one instantiates the literal based on
> the string.
>
> These models we are working (DatasetMetadata, STC2, etc) are working to be
> vo-dml compliant to facilitate this path, but must also serve the present
> and near-term, where we have model aware, but not vodml aware software.
>
> So, if I define vo-dml compliant enumeration in the DatasetMetadata model
>    SpectralBand
>       + Radio
>       + XRay
>
> what value would a data provider need to give in order for model aware,
> but not vo-dml aware software to be able to instantiate the proper literal
> instance on
>   myObject.band:SpectralBand[1]

Or.. in an annotated world, if we have a table whose column is populated
with enumerated values ('band' column in obstap table?).  The data product
has a string field,  that field is annotated with its vo-dml id , the
vo-dml aware software can resolve this to see that the values represent
instances of the SpectralBand enumeration..
what are the field values?  Maybe there is a way of annotating each record?

mark