[vodml] EnumLiterals and vodml-id

Gerard Lemson glemson1 at jhu.edu
Sun Jan 10 14:14:46 CET 2016

Hi all
A follow up on enumeration literals in VO-DML.
Mark noted that the automated vodml-id generation from UML in the XSLT scripts I prepared use the literal values. In the Dataset and STC models these produced vdml-id that do not obey the constrains for the vodml-id element. I noted that this might just be a problem of the generation code and the UML profile one uses.
However, even when adding vodml-id-s explicitly to enum literals in the UML, there remains the problem s.
In VO-DML.xsd EnumLiteral extends ReferableElement, and does not add anything to it. The @name attribute inherited fro ReferableElement is supposed to represent the literal value. Problem is that @name is restricted as well, namely by the VODMLName pattern '[a-zA-Z_][\w_]*'.

I think one obvious solution might be to add a 'fullName' attribute (or 'title'? I'd be open to alternative name) to EnumLiteral that is supposed to represent the use of the literal in conversation, and defaults to the literal's 'name' if it is not specified. This fullName has no restrictions. In UML one can use an <<enumliteral>> with tag  fullName to specify this which the XSLT could pick up.

The other, more straightforward solution is to restrict enumliterals to the pattern for VODMLName.
I actually slightly prefer this solution and not only because it is simpler. Enumerations are primitive types with a discrete set of values. Their "only" r(R)ole is to define the categories for categorical variables (attributes), with the EnumLiterals naming these categories. As such their precise value is immaterial, one could always just use the N lowest integers for this if one wanted. The semantics of the literal is provided by the description. The constraints on 'name' do not really impact human readability in my opinion, but make it easier to use these values in computer contexts which generally impose certain restrictions. Examples are use in pointers, possibly implemented as URLs; class/attribute/table/column names; query languages.
These are also the reason why we restrict the names of Types, Roles, Packages and so on. To make them easier to use in a computer context.

Comments please?

Mark, Arnold, any problems simply making the 'name' of the enumliterals conform to these rules?

Cheers
Gerard