[vodml] EnumLiterals and vodml-id

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Feb 22 13:32:25 CET 2016

Hi all,
On 19/02/2016 21:28, CresitelloDittmar, Mark wrote:
> All,
>
> An update on this topic.
> Earlier this month, a group of us got together in Baltimore for a
> focus meeting on some vo-dml and mapping topics.
> Gerard will be posting the notes from this meeting on the vo-dml twiki
> page.
>
> On this topic, we reviewed the issue and concerns about whether or not
> a 'label' should be added
> to the vo-dml EnumLiteral definition since the 'name' is required to
> conform to the vo-dml name pattern.
> We also mapped out how this would be used in practice.
>
> In the discussion, it was clarified that the user would add
> annotations mapping their local literal strings (label)
> to the vo-dml EnumLiteral.  If the user happens to be using the string
> matching the EnumLiteral name, then
> the necessary annotation is simplified, since there is no need to
> define the mapping.  In this way, a data
> product can retain the 'native' values (and retain compatibility with
> local software) AND be properly mapped
> to the vo modeled element to be compatible with VO software.
>
> Validators would be able to interpret the annotation when vetting an
> instance.
>
> I am satisfied with this, and am content to let the EnumLiteral
> definition in the vo-dml specification stay as it is.

This sounds reasonable, I am satisfied too, thinking to future DAL reuse
of DatasetMetadata. A question below, just to better understand what's
going on
> Actions:
>   + MCD - modify the DatasetMetadata UML/model to define compliant
> enumeration literal names.
>                NOTE: the document may define a 'label' for the
> literals, which would allow continuity with
>                           existing/previous model definitions, but
> this is not to be considered under the
>                           vo-dml scope.
>                NOTE: it is also to be reviewed whether these are
> better represented as Enumeration-s or as SemanticConcept-s
>                {I'll be starting a Dataset thread about this.}
>
>   + GL - review and enhance the Mapping document description of
> Enumeration option tagging (pg 23).
I think you mean page 32 ? (IVOA Working draft 2015 10 10)
> It is not clear that the
>             value being annotated is the user string, and that this
> provides a bridge between the user serialization and the vo-dml/model
> specification.
Actually ther wil be a modification in the VODM-XML xsd by adding a
label element inside <enumeration> ??? Is that what we have to understand ?

Cheers
François

> Mark

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        UMR 7550 CNRS / Université de Strasbourg
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  11, rue de l'Université
                               F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr