About Entities and Datasets

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Mon Dec 5 13:57:17 CET 2016

Hi Laurent,

yes, agreed: the provenance model can (and will) be applied before data
publication. If there is no Dataset-Description available already, then
there will be no links to the Dataset-classes.
I tried to clarify it better in Section 3, see the updated document in
the volute repository:
http://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/dm/provenance/description/ProvenanceDM.pdf

Cheers,
Kristin

On 12/02/2016 06:18 PM, Laurent Michel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the model, Entities are linked with Dataset either directly or
> through the EntityDescription class.
> In my understanding, DatasetMetadata.Dataset rather describes datasets
> already published in the VO. This is not necessarily the case for
> products tagged with the Provenance meta-data. The Provenance model can
> be applied before the VO publication for instance to track dataset.
> I think that this aspect could be clarified.
>
> Cheers
> LM

Dr. Kristin Riebe
E-Science & GAVO

Email: kriebe at aip.de
Phone: +49 331 7499-377
Room:  B6/25
Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026