[Obscore DM update ] Redshift axis and Spectral Axis

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon May 11 17:37:54 CEST 2015

Hi all,
    Arnold is right that we are facing two world coordinate axes
characterizing the emmited light: spectral coordinate and doppler
coordinate. The difficulty is that in general they are not disentangled
and that this information is mixed on the same "data axis". The flux
measured along the spectral axis is the result of a combination of the
emmited spectral distribution by a doppler shift distribution
The use case  given by Arnold of 4D dataset with two different axes for
spectral coordinates and doppler shift is to be considered but is very
rare at the moment.

     In some situations the nature of the data allows to simplify the
interpretation : broad spectral range with a single doppler shift value
(where it is easy to apply a correction)  or oppositely isolated
emission line ( where all spectral variations are due to doppler shift
distribution). But in the most general case they are mixed and their
separation is the result of detailed analysis.

     The WCS model doesn't separate  the two axes. The case where the
spectral axis coordinate is given in one of the doppler shift unit is
some kind of convenience for description of the spectral axis. The "rest
frequency" is actually working as a parameter in the conversion between
wl or frequencies and the doppler unit. It doesn't mean that all the
measurements along the axis are related to a single line or transition.
In general surrounding continuum and neighbourgh lines appear at
"pseudo-redhsift" coordinates and must be suppressed to find out the
emission line.
     The choice of this convenience mode  is motivated by the a priori
knowledge we should be facing data for some given line but there is no
guarantee we are observing ONLY this.

     In discovery mode, Obscore asserts that the spectral axis
CHARACTERIZATION is always expressed in meters. If the actual datasets
have a spectral axis sampled in doppler shift units this should be
described by the em_ucd exactly like we do for axes in frequency or
photon energy in ObsTap allready.

So I support   Mireille's proposal  of adding new possible values to
em_ucd (including z) for evolution of Obscore.

      Use case of the datasets like the ones of Arnold cannot  be fully
described this way because they really have the two axes disentangled.
We assume that full ImageDm serialization provided by a GetMetadata
resource will allow  fine tuning for the discovery of such datasets.
They should also allow to tackle selection of datasets by some redshift
or velocity ranges restriction.

Best regards
François