regarding ALTTYPE [was RE: vo-dml in votable]

Laurino, Omar olaurino at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 10 22:15:54 CET 2015

Hi Gerard,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM, glemson1 at jhu <glemson1 at jhu.edu> wrote:

> One might argue that do not really care about a data model at all, as they
> do not care about structure.

Well, one might argue either way, and probably the definitions in the
mapping document would have benefitted from some feedback ;)

When it says that naive clients are not (necessarily) interested in the
structure of the instance, I mean that they may be after a few items in a
response that is probably already somewhat flat. One example can be the DAL
client that is only interested in a few vodml-ids/utypes. A slightly more
complicated case is an STC library that can convert coordinates into
different frames: it would not be interested in what the coordinates
represent inside the larger data model, and in this sense it is not
interested in the structure of the instance in which the STC positions are
nested: it just goes after all the coordinates in the file and converts
them according to the user's input, ignoring everything else.

But you are probably right that the way it is phrased makes it seem like a
naive client is not interested in any structure at all, and that is not
true. At the very least it needs to read the VOTable structure and some
(albeit simple) STC structures.

Do you think we can get some concrete examples of these based on a
> realistically (vodml-)annotated votable?

I think we should definitely reboot the prototyping efforts and validate
the suggested VOTable changes. After more than two years of documenting,
prototyping, and implementing I am not particularly excited to start
everything over, but this is just the way it is. What we learned in the
past can still be valuable and it is not like we are starting from scratch.

> Your advanced clients seem to be still naïve by my definition, only thing
> they can do is understand a data model.
> Would they still "need" the multiple VODML/TYPE elements?

As I said, and as Pat I believe remarked, multiple TYPEs can be used to
optimize the discovery of instances of certains types in a way that is
compatible with the extensibility requirement, which is a requirement we
decided to support when we started three years ago. We can do without them,
but I think dropping them would make the life of naive clients (in the
sense described by the mapping document) somewhat less robust.

We can indeed question the whole Mapping specification again in ways that
are not just syntactically different, and explore other solutions. In that
case indeed you probably don't even need multiple TYPEs as an optimization
prop.

> Your guru clients are my meta-clients I think. So you do not have
> sophisticated clients as I define them. I.e. those that are able to parse
> VO-DML documents if necessary, but still only interested in a particular
> data model about which they know the esemantics. Does this mean we need 4
> categories In our discussion?

I don't read in your comments anything that seems to require a fourth
category. In the introduction to the clients definition it is said that
this is a crisp classification but that in real life clients would probably
be hybrids. Take Iris as an example: there is no way Iris can assume
knowledge of every possible extension of the SED-related Data Model. Iris
will use some of the types defined in several data models to provide
scientific tools that have to do with SEDs. However, it can still provide
the Metadata Browser, that is a DM-agnostic exploration tool the user might
find rather useful to filter and manipulate the data. In this sense Iris
would probably be a mix of Guru, Advanced, and maybe even Naive code.

Your comments, to me, seem to fall in between the crisp categories defined
in the mapping document, not outside the perimeter they define.

Omar.

P.S. In my previous email I might have mixed up the VOTable change
proposals, but that should have been clear from what I argued. I believe 4c
is the only proposal that does not have ALTTYPE but allows for multiple
types. There seems to be consensus that we can do without the multiple
TYPEs, so my vote is for a slightly different version of 4c where the TYPE
multiplicity is bound to 0..1. This can be turned into an open multiplicity
in the future if we think we need multiple TYPEs afterall.