vo-dml in votable

Laurino, Omar olaurino at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 6 17:11:48 CET 2015

Hi All,

I would like to elaborate on the ALTTYPE element and why it was included in
the design.

Let's say that one has a rather simple Source class like this:

Source
--------
name : string
position : SkyPosition

Let's assume SkyPosition is defined in some way in the "stc2" model.

In this simple example, the Source class would be defined in a standard
"src" DM and data providers would be free to extend it in their own models,
for example with a subclass like this:

SDSSSource           -----|> Source
---------------------
description : string

The following vodml-ids (we don't call them utypes anymore) are defined by
the "src" model:

src:Source (the Source type)

src:Source.name
src:Source.position (of type stc2:SkyPosition, defined by stc2)

The "sdss" model adds the following vodml-ids:

sdss:SDSSSource (the SDSSSource type)

sdss:SDSSSource.description

An SDSSSource instance, according to option 4a, would be serialized in
VOTable as follows:

<GROUP>
  <VODML type="sdss:SDSSSource"/>
  <PARAM ... value="M51">
     <VODML role="src:Source.name"/>
  </PARAM>
  <GROUP>
       <VODML role="src:Source.position" type="stc2:SkyPosition"/>
       .... Position serialization here ....
   </GROUP>
   <PARAM ... value="my favorite galaxy">
      <VODML role="sdss:SDSSSource.description"/>
   </PARAM>
</GROUP>

Notice that since SDSSSource extends Source, it inherits all its vodml-ids,
but it shadows the Source's type vodml-id. In the serialization, you don't
find src:Source, although SDSSSource is indeed both an instance of
sdss:SDSSSource and src:Source.

How can a reader find the standard src:Source type in the above snippet?

One approach, somewhat Pythonic I would say, might be considered a form of
duck typing: as long as an instance has the attribute src:Source.position,
a reader might say, I am going to treat it as a src:Source instance. Notice
that this is a stronger version of duck typing (maybe type inference is a
closer concept in terms of programming languages): the uniqueness of the
vodml-ids implies that if an instance has an attribute with the vodml-id
src:Source.position then the instance *must* be a src:Source.position
instance.

ALTTYPE (or any similar element) makes things explicit, so that the reader
does not need to infer the type by the presence of its attributes. In the
above examples one would have:

<GROUP>
  <VODML type="sdss:SDSSSource">
    <ALTTYPE>src:Source</ALTTYPE>
  </VODML>
</GROUP>

Now, a reader can simply look for src:Source and must not rely on any kind
of type inference. The problem with 4a and ALTTYPE is that readers need to
explicitly look for two different XML elements to get a single piece of
information.

I would then prefer something like option 4b but with an open multiplicity
for the TYPE element, so one would have:

<GROUP>
  <VODML>
     <TYPE>sdss:SDSSSource</TYPE>
     <TYPE>src:Source</TYPE>
  </VODML>
</GROUP>

In the above snippet, readers only have to query the XML instance for
GROUPs with the src:Source TYPE in order to get all the instances they are
interested in. I would say that this is more "Java-like", as it is more
explicit and possibly redundant. Again, this is just an analogy: in both
cases, with or without the ability to specify multiple types, the instance
could be said to be "type safe", i.e. a GROUP containing elements with
src:Source.* ROLEs can only belong to a src:Source instance (given the
serialization is valid, i.e. there are no mistakes).

To summarize, "alternate" type is probably a misleading term. What we are
talking about is close to the OO concept of polymorphism, where the same
object may be an instance of multiple types, even without multiple
inheritance support (VODML does not support multiple inheritance as this is
a rather tricky pattern to implement in the relational model, and that
would complicate the data provider's life). Explicitly annotating the
serialization with all the supertypes IDs may make the reader's life easier
and less error prone. However, from a strictly technical point of view,
readers have ways to find the information they seek even without the
supertype annotation.

Notice that in all of the above I am referring to "naive" clients, i.e.
readers that *do not* parse the VODML descriptions, but just assume the
a-priori knowledge of a data model and its utypes. Pardon me, vodml-ids.
Clients that do parse the VODML descriptions do not care that much, as they
can find all the information they need. In my opinion the only reason to
have the supertype annotation is to simplify the reader's life.

A corollary to what I am saying is that I prefer option 4b over 4a because
it allows, at the very least, to keep the multiplicity of the TYPE element
open, which is something you cannot achieve with 4a.

What I don't like about 4b is that it brings forth all the verbosity of
XML. However, I will send a different message regarding my take on the
different options on the table.

There is another interesting use case where alternate types can greatly
simplify the life of the client implementor: abstract types. Let's say that
you have an abstract SkyError type that can be extended by concrete
EllipseError, CircleError, etc.... If the client wants to instantiate the
right corresponding class in its code (let's say a plotting application
that needs to instantiate the correct graphic class for rendering the error
on the sphere), the explicit supertype annotation provides a simple handle:
readers can query for the abstract type's vodml-id and identify the XML
snippet that refers to the error, and then instantiate different classes
according to the concrete type. Without the "alternate type" readers would
need to probe all possible known concrete subtypes. Even worse, since the
subtype might itself be a custom subtype of a standard model, readers have
to fall back to type inference by blindly probing for the attributes of all
the possible known subtypes.

Say that I extend EllipseError and derive MyEllipseError, the XML snippet
would look like this:

<GROUP>
   <VODML>
     <ROLE>stc:SkyPosition.error</ROLE>
     <TYPE>mydm:MyEllipseError"</TYPE>
   </VODML>
   <PARAM ... value="8.5">
     <VODML>
       <ROLE>stc:EllipseError.positionAngle</ROLE>
     </VODM>
   </PARAM>
</GROUP>

How does a client aware of the standard stc but not of my extension know
that it has to instantiate an EllipseError rather than a CircleError? It
would need to scan for attributes like stc:CircleError.radius and
stc:EllipseError.positionAngle. With the alternate types, though, one would
have:

<GROUP>
   <VODML>
     <ROLE>stc:SkyPosition.error</ROLE>
     <TYPE>mydm:MyEllipseError"</TYPE>
     <TYPE>stc:EllipseError</TYPE>
     <TYPE>stc:SkyError</TYPE>
   </VODML>
   <PARAM ... value="8.5">
     <VODML>
       <ROLE>stc:EllipseError.positionAngle</ROLE>
     </VODM>
   </PARAM>
</GROUP>

With only one added line, things are trivial for the reader now: just query
the XML for GROUPs with a stc:SkyError TYPE, and then instantiate the
correct object (e.g. an ellipse shape) according to the concrete type (e.g.
EllipseError).

Again, I am not arguing that without the supertype annotation things are
impossible for a client, just that with the supertype annotation things are
easier and do not require type inference.

Hope this helps,

Omar.

--
Omar Laurino